Thursday, November 3, 2011

Attack!

CRICKET ATTACK!

Not really, but seriously, every time I open my classroom door into our courtyard, a few crickets come charging into the room. I end up on the floor trying to catch crickets to return them to the wild.

This week, I stopped fighting the crickets and started catching them in a bug catcher to take to release them in front of the school so it's harder for them to come back.

A few years ago (while I was student teaching), I taught a cricket drawing lesson. With all the spare crickets around, it seemed like a good time to try it again. Instead of putting a cricket or two on each table, I decided to just use the document camera to project them on the board.

These drawings are by 1st and 2nd grade students. We talked about the parts of an insect and counted the legs on our "models." My students loved the crickets and I loved watching them draw the crickets. Their drawings turned out wonderfully!








Disclaimer: Crickets were caught and released daily. No crickets were harmed during this lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive