Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dutch Masters in elementary school?

I just started a lesson on Johannes Vermeer with 5th graders and I am SO excited about how well it went. We're getting close to the end of the school year and I felt a little hesistant about tackling something so big at this time of the year.

But oh my, they started out with a bang! We're focusing on Vermeer's portrait work (which is most of his work, really) and everyone is creating a small portrait in his style. The students will be working with a combination of oil pastels and acrylic paint to create a realistic painting with a focus on light and symbolism. I love Vermeer's work and was once scolded in the National Gallery in DC by security for getting too close to one of his paintings! They're really beautiful and also really small, so it is nice to see them in person.  :)

On top of all that, I began reading them the book Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliet as they worked. It's on  a 5th grade reading level and is the fictional story of kids who work together to solve a mystery about a missing painting. I've never read from a novel to students while they worked in my classroom. I often read picture books, but never novels before today. Everyone was open to it and seemed to enjoy the story. In short, it was incredible. They were focused on their work, but also responded to me as I read. I'm excited about continuing this book and exploring this more in the future.

Art teachers, have I lost my mind? Have you tried reading a novel with kids in the art room?

Learn more about Vermeer:
His paintings- there are only 37!
His life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive